Cut Off Hours
DARKATHLON @ KIELDER
Starting and finishing at Kielder Waterside Park, you will tackle the ultimate Dark Skies challenge. This chalenging duathlon is off road on well maintained trails. You start with a 15 mile, followed by a full 25 mile loop of Kielder Water, finishing off with a nightime 10K run around Bull Crag. The race will take place on Saturday 29th May 2021.
Kielder was awarded gold tier Dark Sky Park status by the International Dark Skies association in December 2013, making it the perfect venue for the ultimate starlit running challenge.
Route and Course Markings
The race checkpoint has first aid equipment for minor injuries. The start/finish area will also have first aid provision inculding a paramedic and an ambulance. Nearest local hospital:- Hexham General Hospital, Corbridge Road, Hexham NE46 1QJ. 0344 811 8111
All finishers get a bespoke medal, race t-shirt and buff.
There are also male and female prizes for the categories shown below. Separate awards will be given for solo and team entries.
|First Three||First finisher||First finisher||First finisher||First finisher|
Kielder Waterside Park Centre,
NE48 1BTMap for Kielder Waterside Park
Darkathlon @ Kielder - 29th May 2021
09:00 - 11:00Kielder Waterside ParkPlace bikes and equipment in transition area.
11:00 - 12:30Kielder Waterside ParkOpens for race registration, pick up race numbers and race merchandise.
12:30 - 13:45Kielder Waterside ParkFree coach transfer to Dam Wall for start of 15 mile race.
13:50Start Area - Dam WallRace safety briefing for 15 mile run
14:00Start Area - Dam Wall15 Mile Race start!
18:00Kielder Waterside Park15 Mile Race Cut off
22:00Kielder Waterside Park25 Mile Ride Cut off
21:30Hawkhirst Activity HallAwards Presentation
00:00Kielder Waterside Park10K Race/Event Cut off
Darkathlon @ Kielder - Mandatory Kit
- Proof of ID (Kit check only)
- Head torch(with spare batteries)
- Survival bag/Foil Blanket
- Hat and gloves
- Waterproof jacket
- Minimum of 500ml water
- Personal cup
- Cycle helmet to be worn whilst cycling
- Emergency food/sport bar
- Mobile phone number of the race directors +447734309500 (Tim) +447984307900 (Garry)
- Fully charged phone
Darkathlon @ Kielder - Rules
- All competitors must be running under their own names and numbers. No swapping of numbers or running in another’s place will be accepted. If you are found to be running in another’s place you will be disqualified.
- You must log your number with race marshals at each check point. It is your responsibility to make sure the marshal takes your number.
- Any competitor who is deemed unfit to continue by the race directors, marshals or medics will be withdrawn from race. The decision will be FINAL.
- Runners must carry all mandatory equipment at all times during the race unless stated otherwise at Race Briefing by the Race Director. If found to be not carrying the required kit at any time, you will be disqualified.
- If you decide to retire from the race you must notify a marshal. You must surrender your race number and you will not be allowed to continue.
- Unsporting behaviour (cheating) will not be tolerated and result in immediate disqualification. This includes but not limited to, not carrying mandatory kit at all times, taking short cuts, use of PEDs.
- We strongly advise against the using of NSAIDs (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs i.e Ibuprofen) during the events, as they are proven to cause harm during endurance events. Doing so against this advice is strictly at the competitor’s risk.
- All runners take full responsibility for their own navigation during the event.
- You must have your bib number visible at all times or easily accessible to show the Check Point team.
- If you do not leave an aid station before the cut off time you will not be allowed to continue for safety, cut-off times will be strictly enforced. If you get to the finish line after the final cut off you will unfortunately not be listed as an official finisher and will not be eligible for awards.
- Littering will result in immediate disqualification. We must respect the trails at all times. Some of our events take place in SSSI (Sites of Special Scientific Interest), and securing permission to host events in these areas is very difficult. If you litter you not only jeopardise the events future, but more importantly you jeopardise the area.
- Dogs are NOT allowed to take part in the event. They present a trip hazard to other runners and a risk of upsetting livestock of local land owners.
- Headphones are not permitted at the race. However, bone conducting ear phones are permitted.
- You do not have a right of way priority over any other users of the course, you must respect other users of the course throughout the duration of the event.
- The race has an ARC permit number and will be held under ARC rules. We recommend that you make yourself familiar with ARC rules specific to Trail running: http://www.runningclubs.org.uk/rules
Darkathlon @ Kielder - Travel
Accommdation Options at Kielder
Accommodation options for the Kielder area can be found via this link.
This year we are using a car sharing website developed by a runner that aims to save you money, and reduce the carbon footprint of the event:http://RaceLifts.org car sharing
We would be most grateful if EVERYONE coming to the Dark Skies Run race could try out the site (even if you don't expect to car share). It only takes a minute and is completely free to use. As well as saving you petrol money, it will ease the parking headaches for us at the race.